Local history for Rathfeigh, Skyrne and Tara in County Meath.
In Irish, Rathfeigh is Rath Faiche – the ring fort on the green. Church history in Rathfeigh goes back for centuries. The present church in Rathfeigh dates from 1874. During the Penal Laws, Mass was celebrated on a large rock south-west of the present church on a site overlooking the beautiful valley of Rathfeigh, through which the River Hurley winds its way. Rathfeigh N.S., located at Edoxtown since 1954, replaced an older school near the church.
The Roman Catholic parish of Skryne is a union of ancient parishes of Macetown, Skryne, Tara, Trevet, Rathfeigh, and parts of Lismullin. The ancient name for Skryne was Achaill but in 875 A.D., the shrine of St. Colmcille was brought from Iona and stored for safety from the marauding Danes in the monastery on the Hill. The place became known as Scrín Cholm Chille (the Shrine of Colmcille). In Norman times, Skryne was a barony. Skryne Church will celebrate its bicentenary in 2027.
Teamhair or Croc na Teamhrach, needs no introduction as it is one of the most famous historic sites in Ireland. Radiocarbon dating traces Tara back to about 3,000 B.C. Further developments were added during the Bronze and Iron Ages into early Christian times. It was traditionally the venue for the confrontation between St. Patrick and the High King Laoghaire, an event that ultimately changed the nature of religious practice in Ireland.
Rathfeigh & District Heritage TrailRathfeigh-Heritage-Trail-Map
The PDF above contains 2 pages, to view map on 2nd page then please click on down arrow at bottom left of above document